Thursday, April 9, 2009

Stop the insanity!

You don't have to look very hard to find a headline in the newspaper or a story on the nightly news that says "music program cut due to budget cuts. Music and the arts in general have become an easy target in these struggling economic times. Charles Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences lists eight different areas of intelligence that are displayed by human beings. Each one of them is thought to hold equal importance and should be treated equally. Music is one of these areas. Most schools focus on mathematical and linguistics studies due to a push for standardized testing, and often forget about the other crucial areas in of intelligence's in education. Music should be held with the same importance as these other core subjects and it is time stop this injustice and listen to what Gardner has already stated. In addition to Gardner's work, Greek philosophers Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates told us long ago that music is a vital component of our lives and should be taught to everyone. They felt that music was not only important as it relates to other learning, but that music helped to make people better people in society. Music as it relates to society, culture, higher academic achievement and overall happiness are just a few of the areas that prove it's importance and value in our schools.

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely! My favorite class in elementary and middle school was music class. I was always so excited to learn how to play new instruments and sing all the popular songs I'm sure we all have sang. Knowing that my kids may not have the same opportunity to learn about music is really disappointing. Not every parent has the money to enroll their child into music lessons and it was through my music class in school that I learned my love for singing. I hope that every child has the opportunity to learn about music they way I was able to.

    ReplyDelete