Thursday, April 9, 2009

Journal #8 Daniel Leist

There is more than 83 billion dollars of financial aid available through our government. The cost of college has increased over recent years, yet financial aid is still only available to families considered low class. The government determines financial aid through a FASFA form. This form asks for a variety of things; the most important of them is the parents income. I don't see how it is possible that the government can judge how much money i need by asking my parents how much they make. My parents haven't given me a dime to attend IPFW. My parents give me as much aid for college as a low class family would give their child to attend college. The government needs to come up with a better way to determine who needs financial aid. Merit based financial aid is aid that is rewarded to students who excel in high school. I believe the cutoff for need based financial aid should be alot stricter and only the very needy students should receive that, and then more aid should go to boosting the merit based financial aid system. We need to come up with a better way of determining who and how much financial aid each student receives.

No comments:

Post a Comment